Caring for a child with complex medical issues introduces some challenges into a family’s daily life. For one thing, the home itself must be a safe, stable environment in which the child can easily maneuver or in which the parents and/or in-home caregivers can assist the child. Evaluating the home for potential safety issues is an important step in the care process. Some things to consider when preparing the home for a child with a complex medical issue include:
- Are there any architectural barriers throughout the home that prevent the necessary equipment such as a wheelchair?
- Will the child require a lift system in order to navigate stairs?
- Can the child’s room accommodate a hospital bed or other necessary medical equipment that is vital to the child’s daily care?
- Can bathrooms be modified to accommodate any special needs that the child has?
Additionally, local emergency medical services, as well as heating and electrical providers, must be alerted to the specialized needs in homes of medically fragile children who rely on medical technology on a daily basis. In case of power outages, most utility companies have plans in place and standard application forms for individuals requiring life-supporting medical equipment. The following are local companies and providers that families should notify when supporting a medically fragile child at home:
- Electricity supplier
- Gas supplier
- Water supplier
- Telephone providers, including landline and cell providers
- Division responsible for snow removal in your area
- Local fire department, ambulance, and/or paramedics
- Local police department
While challenging, caring for a child with complex medical issues at home is often the preferred method of care for families as it keeps the family close and allows for a sense of normalcy and independence for the child. Genacta In-Home Care of Alaska has a stellar reputation for providing quality, compassionate in-home support and supported living assistance for children with complex medical issues. We can also provide chore services to ensure that your home is clean and safe for your child. Contact us today to learn more about our in-home care services.